The Homesteading Tab - 2018 Update
- Written by Robert "Mike" Sterling
- font size decrease font size increase font size
- Published in CAG Training
- Read 3970 times
THE HOMESTEADING FUNCTIONAL AREA
The Homesteading Functional Area is designed to provide the skills necessary for families and small communities to thrive and not just survive. Nutrition, Agriculture, Livestock, and low technology Living Skills are the focus. Many of these skills are taught on our Affiliate "Teaching Farms".
The BASIC Homesteading Program
Designed to build strong foundations in Self Sufficient, Sustainable long term family and group skills. This skill program is intended to build on individual Survival Skills, and improve family, team, and community agriculture and livestock programs. The skills learned in this program are continuously evolving and very diverse.
Those that meet the requirements of this program will earn a Basic Homesteading Tab.
Earning the Basic Homesteading Tab
A PREREQUISITE to earn the Homesteading Tab is you must have previously earned the CAG Survival Tab.
There is one path to earning the Basic Homesteading Tab:
The Member must attend a course or show proficiency in at least one Subject in each of the Four(4) Homesteading Subject Categories.
That's One Course/Project in EACH of the Four(4) Homesteading Subject Categories.
- Courses must be provided by CAG, a CAG Affiliate, or an Approved Third Party (Coordinate with CAG prior).
- Proficiency may be shown either by providing Nationally Recognized Certifications or Providing Photo/Video Documentation of a Project for that Category.
- Photo Project Documentation must always have the Members Name, Project and Member Number prominently displayed on a card in the photo, no Photo edits.
- Video Documentation must always begin with the Member clearly stating their Name, Project and Member Number, no Video edits.
- Members should coordinate all projects, courses, and Certifications with CAG Management in advance to verify they meet the CAG Training Goals for that Category.
The Homesteading Categories are Arranged as follows with Suggestions/Examples for Course/Project Subjects:
- Food Harvesting, Preparation and Storage (Garden/Orchard/Wild Harvesting and the Methods used to Store those foods safely)
- Canning, Fermenting and Dry Packaging Food (Safe Pressure and Water Bath Canning for Meats, Fruits and Vegetables)
- Meat Preservation - Smokehouse, Drying and Salt Pack (Safe Processing from raw meat to long term preserved)
- Livestock and Game Processing (Safe and Efficient killing, gutting, skinning, and butchering for Livestock/Game)
- Cheese/Butter Manufacture (Process from raw milk to fully processed product)
- Austere Nutrition and Mass Food Preparation (Establish and Operate a mass feeding program in an Austere Environment)
- Domestic Livestock Management (Safe and Efficient Care and Feeding and management of Domestic herd/flock animal program)
- Fishery Management (Safe and Efficient Care and Feeding of a Small Scale Fishery program)
- Game Management and Conservation (Efficient management practices for maintenance of sustainable population of wild game in a geographic area)
- Hide and Fur Processing (Safe and Efficient Processing of Hides/Furs for personal use or profit)
- Small Scale Garden Management (Efficient, Sustainable home gardening methods for personal use or profit)
- Small Scale Orchard Management (Efficient, Sustainable Orchard methods for personal use or profit)
- Basic Sewing and Clothing Repair (Safe and sustainable maintenance and fabrication of clothing items without access to external grid power)
- Soap/Candle Making (Safe and Efficient Soap or Candle manufacture at home for personal use or profit)
- Weaving (Safe and efficient collection of natural materials and production of woven products for practical use)
- Wool/Fur Thread/Yarn/Cordage Manufacture (Safe and Efficient collection, processing and spinning of Wool or Fur to produce thread, yarn or cordage)
To Request Tab Credit you must:
First, ensure that you are logged into your personal profile on www.CAGMain.com and that your profile is complete
- On the Home Page, select the MEMBERS ONLY tab
- In the drop down menu, select the REQUEST TAB CREDIT tab
- Fill out the blocks completely, incomplete submissions will not be accepted
- Upload an electronic copy of your Certificates into the block provided
- Don't forget to hit the SUBMIT button
- The CAG Staff will process your request and contact you.